Wild Crafted Fennel

The licorce flavored ferny looking herb that could easily be mistaken for dill, is wild fennel. There are two kinds of fennel; one is grown for the bulb, the other is the one in your basket, grown for the ferny top. I tried something interesting that should definately be tried for St. Patrick's Day next year:

I followed a standard sugar cookie recipe. I cut maybe a fourth of the fennel bunch tops into the cuisinart with all the sugar required and hit blend. What resulted was a bright (and I do mean shockingly bright) green sugar. I then made those cookies with that sugar. The result was a gently licorce flavored cookie that was so green it looked like it had to be dyed. Try it!



Chef Mark Mcdonald says he's using the fennel in a pasta dish.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh. I totally thought it was fancy dill. Anyway, I treated it just like dill, making a yummy lemon dill( I mean fennel) marinade that's great on chicken, fish, and veggies. My husband and I thought we hated fennel, but apparently not after all (shrugs).

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks, Monsanto!

Harvest Shot April 8-9 2014