What's coming up, Farmer Donna!

As much as I love winter vegetables, I sure am ready for something new! In the greenhouse are a beautiful array of heirloom tomatoes: Sun Golds, Romanian, the ever popular Brandywine, Pruden's Purple, Moskvich, Rosalita, and more. Also some nice heirloom eggplants: Black Beauty which is said to have a poor yield, but I love the fruit of this plant and haven't found a yield problem myself; of course the heirloom Listada de Gandia from France we grow every year and we're trialing Galine.

Herbs coming along: Lemon Balm, Stevia, Sage, and Orange Thyme. In ground we're just starting to harvest cilantro, and soon dill.

You'll notice this week the baby red-leafed romaine lettuce which is really tender and flavorful. We were having trouble getting it to germinate in the cold, but now we hope to be consistent with it each week.

In the greenhouse are plenty of peppers, mostly heirlooms. We have the Chocolate Beauty, the Red Knight, Kung Pao, and the Jalapeno.

We just put in our first planting of greenbeans; I think we're a couple weeks early on that, but the risk is worth it. If we get hit with a late frost we'll have to replant.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't wait for the tomatos. I eat them like apples one after the other.
Todd said…
I'm quite excited for the tomatoes too. I'm sensing a convergence of tomatoes, peppers and cilantro and am looking forward to some CSA salsa!

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks, Monsanto!

Harvest Shot April 8-9 2014